
...and their spouses (posing as lazy bones on the couch)

Our hosts

Luxembourg was about a 2.5 hour drive from where we live. Luckily, it was a night marathon, beginning at 6PM. This later start time allowed us all to sleep in, take our time driving and getting ready for the race, and saved us the hastle and money of having to get a hotel room. After checking in to get our race chips, t-shirts, race numbers, bags, etc., we were able to hang out in a field surrounding the convention center. It was a very beautiful day to be outdoors!
Training partners- Thank you to Carrie and Adam for your motivation and support week after week! We trained for 10-11 weeks through sun, rain and wind, logging more than 150 miles each!


Runners line up: Carrie, Ashley, Adam, Alan


Starting line...We were pretty far back in the line, so seeing the paraglider in the sky was the only way we knew that the race had started.


Example of funny running outfits- this man is wearing a skirt. While running, we saw a man running in a full cow costume.

Full marathon runners leading the pack...

Running by our supporters...


A crazy person running the half marathon on stilts...

Still running...

Still smiling...

As the race went on, there were plenty of water/gatorade stations and some with orange slices which were great motivators (and a much welcomed 5-10 second pause). A couple of things made this race more difficult than I thought it would be: 1) As I mentioned earlier, it was a really beautiful day outside. This meant that we were running with the sun beating down on us and into our eyes the entire time. It was a long 2 hours of squinting! 2) We mostly trained on flat trails with some short distances of elevation. The race course, on the other hand, had several long stretches of gradual incline- it seemed like some of them would never end!
We finished the race inside the convention center- complete with lights, fire, and fog- very dramatic.

Crossing the finish line- 2 hours 19 minutes, about 10:45 min/mile!

*you may be able to see us better by clicking on the picture to make it larger*
As you can see, the clock said 2:26 when we crossed. This is the time from the start of the race, not the time from when we actually crossed the start line at the beginning of the race. The chips we wore on our shoes (see below) were able to keep track of our personal time, so it took us about 7 minutes to start running once the race had started.

Carrie, Adam, and I are standing by the water table in this picture...trying desperately to get out the convention center and away from these sweaty people.

We finally made it out of the crowd, but then we couldn't find our way out of the gates that were supposed to keep non-runners out...It was getting really irritating after a while and I felt a bit like cattle or like we were in some sort of a maze with no exit.
Showing off our medals

At first I didn't think I needed the orange pancho they provided for runners, but about 15 minutes after the race I started to chill and not feel so great, so the pancho went on. Not sure if you can tell, but my coloring is not good in these pictures- kind of white/gray. It's like I ran for over 2 hours or something...


Race Number

Distance Run: 21 km=13.1 miles

Finishers Medal


Running a half marathon was a really great experience, but I am not in a hurry to do another one for a while! I gave myself a week-long reprieve from running and now Matt and I are starting to run together a couple of times a week. It's nice to know that I can run 13.1 miles without stopping, but I think I'll stick to 6 mile or less runs for the next few months.
If you want to see more pictures from the race day, check out our friends' blogs:
Melanie and Adam
Alan and Liz
1 comment:
Matt, why didn't you run as well? If you were afraid that your time would have been bad and you would have lost some dignity, trust me, you lost most of it when you had to push a bed-racer up a hill in a ridiculous costume.
I just wanted to leave a comment and hope things are going well for the Thors. Keep posting cool picks and I'll attempt to leave feedback that will only make sense to one or two people.
Take care.
Post a Comment