Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Two Years

The beginning of August marked the end of our second year in Japan. It has been an interesting ride to say the least! I thought I would document some of the things that I will miss most about living here, since the end of our third year here will probably be complete chaos (1 toddler, 1 infant, and a whole lot of organizing/packing/cleaning to accomplish before moving)...

Our home. This house is our first home as a family of three and soon to be four. It is new, clean, and has only one level, which makes is so much easier to keep track of Hazel. Our neighborhood is quiet and safe, and also home to some great friends just a short walk away.

This walk. Matt discovered it about six months ago, and we have been walking/jogging this two-mile route ever since. Highlights of the walk with Hazel include a barking guard dog that protects a random warehouse/building, talking about the dirt, and pointing out the hydrangea that appears to grow wild here.



Fresh flowers. These all came from a local produce market in town and cost me 430 Yen (about $5.50 ). We also had great access to inexpensive, beautiful flowers in Germany, which makes me consistently disappointed by how little I can get for my money when I try to buy flowers in the states.

Chinese Lunch. One of our go-to places to meet Matt for lunch is this Chinese restaurant tucked away in the Japanese area of base (it is a joint base, shared between the US and Japanese Air Force). I order the same noodle dish every time, Matt rotates between different daily specials, and Hazel eats some of my noodles, some of Matt's rice, and whatever else we bring along for her.

Festival Yakisoba. It can be found at almost any festival, packaged in a flimsy plastic container held shut with a rubberband, for usualy 200-300 Yen (about $2.50-3.80). In addition to these sweet-flavored noodles, there are usually a few shreds of cabbage and/or carrots, and a topping of pickled red ginger. You eat it with chopsticks, and it is delicious.

These are just a few of my favorite things!

No comments: